Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Napoli are reportedly ready to pursue their interests in RB Salzburg starlet Erling Haaland with a €40m bid, as well an offer for Genk midfielder Sander Berge. There are expected a lot of changes at the San Paolo and Aurelio De Laurentiis is reported to be ready to splash €60m in total for the Norwegian duo. According to the Gazzetta dello Sport, they have stepped up their interest in the Norway internationals after facing both in the group stage of this season’s Champions League campaign. Last weekend the RB Salzburg striker added another three to his total tally of 26 goals in 18 matches for the Austrian champions this term – including three goals in two games against the Partenopei in the Champions League. Previous reports have claimed the striker to have a price tag of €100m, far off the reported €40m De Laurentiis is willing to pay. They are also following the development of the situation regarding Berge’s future. The Genk midfielder has been linked away from Belgium and would be a subject of a €20m offer from Napoli. Napoli are back in action against Milan after the international break, where the Norway pair are preparing to face the Faroe Islands on Friday, before travelling to Malta on Monday.
Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Secretary General Lalit Bhanot on Monday said that the brand ambassador for the October 3-14 event will be announced by the end of this week.”We have a list of names prepared and we will be announcing it by end of this week or by next week, for sure,” Bhanot told PTI.Archery Association of India President V K Malhotra had proposed the name of Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan, who was also the face of Asian Games in 1982, as the brand ambassador but the Organising Committee rejected the proposal.In fact, Suresh Kalmadi, Chairman of CWG 2010 Organising Committee, made it clear that face of the Delhi Games would not be an actor but a sportsperson.”Brand Ambassador for the Games will be a young sports personality,” Kalmadi had said in a press conference last month.Names of sportspersons like Vijender Singh and Mary Kom have been doing the rounds as possible contenders.Vijender won bronze medal for India in 2008 Beijing Olympics, while Mary Kom have been a four-time World Champion.
A Dutch Paralympic cyclist might get to represent her country in the Olympics after a bike crash miraculously gave her back the use of her legs. Monique van der Vorst, now 27, was paralysed from the waist down and had been confined to a wheelchair for 13 years. Following a freak accident, Monique miraculously started to get movement in her legs after being hit by a sprint cyclist while training last year. The accident sent spasms through her legs and set her whole body in motion and within months she was back on her feet again. Even though it is a new beginning for Monique, her impressive sports career as a Paralympic competitor has come to an end. Monique now competes on a standard bicycle and aims for the Olympics. Monique’s dream is to ride to glory in the 2016 Olympics.
With help from the Samajwadi Party (SP), the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and ally Trinamool Congress, the government on Tuesday defeated the opposition backed amendments on the National Counter Terrorism Centre in the Rajya Sabha despite lacking majority in the house.While members of the SP and BSP voted with the government, Trinamool Congress MPs, a party vocal in its opposition to NCTC in its present form, were not present in the house during voting.The amendments were pressed by the opposition, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), even as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh assured members of the upper house in his reply to the debate on the motion of thanks to the president’s address that efforts would be made to evolve a consensus on the anti-terror hub.Chief ministers would be consulted on NCTC, he reiterated.But soon after the prime minister’s reply, opposition members were on their feet, demanding an assurance that the government would proceed with the NCTC only with the consent of the chief ministers.BJP and Left leaders indicated they may not press their amendments to the president’s speech, on March 12 to joint houses of parliament, if such an assurance came from the prime minister.Parliamentary Affairs Minister P.K. Bansal told the opposition that the prime minister had already said that chief ministers would be consulted and there would be no infringement of the federal structure.With the opposition parties not withdrawing their amendments despite assurances from the government, Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan called for division.The government seemed to pass through some anxious moments before the deputy chairman announced that 82 members had voted in favour of the amendments on the proposed anti-terror hub and 105 against them.Trinamool Congress is a constituent of ruling Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) while SP and BSP support it from outside.After the result was announced, BJP, Left and Biju Janata Dal MPs walked out protesting against the government not giving assurances on their demands concerning the NCTC.Earlier, Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley (BJP) sought an assurance from prime minister that the entry of central forces working under NCTC would not happen “without the consent or knowledge of states”.CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said the prime minister should promise that the government will proceed with the NCTC only after taking chief ministers on board and “with their agreement”.While the Rajya Sabha Tuesday adopted the motion of thanks to the president’s address, the Lok Sabha had done the same on Monday.advertisement
Lack of transparency and intrigue has plagued Indian tennis selection for long. And with less than six weeks to go for the London Olympics, there is drama waiting to be enacted in Bangalore as the wise people in the All India Tennis Association (AITA) selection committee meet on June 15 to select the Indian team.It is well known that selecting the doubles team for previous editions of the Olympics was a simple choice of putting Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi on the tennis court. The end result was known, that the two would eventually register a flop show.This time around, it’s not just about Lee and Hesh but now the AITA could actually field two men’s doubles pairs for the Olympics. This is a scenario which most people are not aware of as there are ‘smart’ brains in the AITA trying to mislead the nation at large that only one pair can qualify for London.However, on Tuesday, the tennisworld.usa site put out the direct doubles acceptance list for the Olympics where Paes and Somdev Devvarman can make it as a pair and Bhupathi can partner Rohan Bopanna. If the AITA wants to play smart, it should field Paes with Devvarman and Bhupathi with Bopanna.The selection committee of Jaidip Mukherjea, SP Misra, Balram Singh, Rohit Rajpal and Sai Jayalakshmy will pick the team. It is no secret that as far as Olympic preparations go, the best effort on and off the court has been made by Bhupathi and Bopanna as they decided at the start of the year that they wanted to play together.advertisementHowever, insiders in the tennis circle feel that the selectors may be again under pressure, and how. As Paes is in the top 10, he has the right to choose his partner!Well, this is something new as earlier no player was given the right to select his partner and that right rested with the selectors.However, if sources in the AITA are to be believed, there is talk of putting Paes with Bhupathi or Bopanna. The fact is, Paes does not talk to Bhupathi or Bopanna. The last time Paes played with Bopanna was a disaster as they lost in the Davis Cup away tie against Uzbekistan in March. As regards Paes pairing with Bhupathi, that would be committing the same mistake that happened in 1996 Atlanta, 2000 Sydney, 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing.Paes and Bhupathi last played over seven months ago and to imagine they will get the chemistry together again can at best be laughed at. Even if you are going to get a doctorate in chemistry to actually come up with a catalyst to make this work, it can’t happen. There is zero communication, zero trust and zero faith between these two elder statesmen in Indian tennis who still are going great guns in their own right.Bhupathi and Bopanna have done their bit to ensure they can gel together which can be best illustrated from their results in 2012. They won the title in Dubai this year and reached the semifinals in Madrid, Miami and Rome, all Masters Series events.Yes, they haven’t done well in the Grand Slams but they deserve a chance at Olympic glory and should not be scoffed at. One also must not forget that Paes planned this year for himself but not with the Olympics in mind, as he opted for partners from overseas and has a ranking of seven. Devvarman is making a comeback after an injury lay-off and he could be asked to pair with Paes.But the bigger worry for the selectors is putting the best pair on court in mixed doubles. After the highs of the French Open mixed doubles title, Bhupathi and Sania Mirza are the obvious choice.Yet, it is laughable that AITA secretary general Anil Khanna actually went around in Paris asking the players who they wanted to play with!Again, Sania needs a wild card but that does not mean in mixed doubles she can get into the draw only with Paes because he has a higher ranking. The AITA says it is asking the International Tennis Federation for a wild card for Sania, but it remains to be seen what happens in that regard.Anyone with basic tennis knowledge knows that Paes and Sania, both play the right court, which is known as the deuce court. There are some wise men in the AITA who feel Paes should be paired with Sania, though it flies in the face of logic.advertisementIn March, when the AITA dropped Bhupathi for the Davis Cup tie, it raised eyebrows. The explanation then was Paes’s good showing at the Australian Open could not have been ignored. So AITA should go the extra mile this time to ensure Bhupathi and Sania find a mixed doubles entry now as they are India’s best Olympic medal hope.The AITA selection committee is answerable to the nation as the days of Lee and Hesh being a natural choice are over. The Indian Olympic Association and the proactive sports ministry under Ajay Maken must ensure justice is done in the selection. Right now, there is mistrust in the air and the players will vouch for it.
LATEST STORIES Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans “We had a great defense. We executed our gameplan and that’s why the offense was easy for us,” Napa said. “Credit to the boys. They really worked hard for this and it’s a good game for us going to Tuesday’s game against San Sebastian.”Letran rose to joint third place with JRU with their identical 7-6 records.Mapua still tried to wage a late fightback, with Christian Buñag trimming the lead down to seven, 79-72, but JP Calvo completed an and-one with 59.3 ticks remaining to douse the uprising.Buñag topped Mapua (1-12) with 23 points and 12 rebounds, while Leo Gabo had 15 markers and five boards in the Cardinals’ 11th straight defeat to boot them out of the Final Four race.The Scores:ADVERTISEMENT Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READ Bong Quinto added 22 markers, eight boards, and three assists, while Jerrick Balanza got 14 points, six rebounds, three steals, and two dimes.Letran got back at Mapua after losing its first round encounter, 78-75, last July 11 courtesy of an Andoy Estrella three-pointer for the Cardinals’ lone victory of the season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“We had so much drama in the first round. But now, everybody picked up what’s missing and the players who went soul searching and that’s why we’re playing better. We’re doing the things that we need to get the wins this second round,” said coach Jeff Napa.The outspoken mentor credited the Knights’ tenacious defense that allowed them to seize control from the get-go and hold lead until the final buzzer. Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netLetran exacted its revenge and eliminated Mapua with an 88-79 beatdown Friday in the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.Rey Nambatac came out like a house on fire, uncorking 17 of his 25 points in the first half and to go with eight rebounds as the Knights jumped to a 47-25 halftime advantage and never looked back.ADVERTISEMENT No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim PBA: Star ends Kia’s misery with 47-point beating For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LETRAN 88 – Nambatac 25, Quinto 22, Balanza 14, Calvo 13, Balagasay 6, Taladua 5, Mandreza 2, Vacaro 1, Gedaria 0, Bernabe 0, Pamulaklakin 0, Pascual 0.MAPUA 79 – Bunag 23, Gabo 15, Nieles 9, Estrella 9, Aguirre 8, Raflores 8, Victoria 4, Pelayo 3, Orquina 0.Quarters: 21-18, 47-25, 66-50, 88-79. View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games
No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors “I’m just trying to do my part on the team. All the guys have the confidence to let me shoot, so I just try to stay in my lane. If the ball comes, I’ll shoot it if it’s open, but if it’s not, I’ll pass it up,” the veteran forward said.“It’s just a good grind out win. Both teams weren’t shooting well and we’re just lucky to hit the big shots and that’s just how it works in the playoffs.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe 33-year-old Dillinger pumped in eight of his team’s last 15 points down the stretch but what he was more proud about was the Bolts living up to their reputation as one of the best defensive teams in the league.“Coach had a good game plan defensively and as long as we talk out there, we’re gonna be okay,” he said. “We’re the number one defensive team in the league and we’re a good defensive team for a reason, so as long as we listen to coach, we talk out there and communicate, we’ll be okay.” ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next But Dillinger hopes Meralco breaks its bad habit of falling behind games. In three of its last four games, Meralco needed to overhaul big leads to win dating back to its final game in the the elimination round against San Miguel Beer.“I really don’t know what’s going on. We need to stop doing that. I’m getting no sleep. It’s just so hard to go behind and just win. It’s mentally and physically draining,” he said. “Coach says it all the time, a win is a win and we’ll take it, but I’m tired coming back from behind. Can we just get a normal one?”Game 2 is on Tuesday at Sta. Rosa, Laguna with the Bolts looking to grab a commanding lead in the best-of-5 duel.“This is just one game in the semis. We got long ways to go.”ADVERTISEMENT Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH PBA IMAGESBIÑAN — Meralco’s big comeback win over Star in Game 1 of the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup semifinals started and fittingly, ended with Jared Dillinger.Dillinger sparked the Bolts’ rally from a 17-point lead in the first half before completing his team’s comeback from 12 points down late.ADVERTISEMENT Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Video games in the Olympics? Here’s how it might work MOST READ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim View comments