Why Sergi Roberto did not participate in the FIFA tournament

first_img He told the club he was going to participate and everything was fine, but then when La Liga got involved Roberto and the club agreed that because Konami, makers of FIFA rival PES, sponsor Barca, he should not play. SPORT have learned that Roberto decided off his own back to make the call. 23/03/2020 During the coronavirus break La Liga clubs played each other on FIFA, organised by Ibai Lanos, a videogame commentator. The proceeds were going to a Covid-19 battling charity. CET El motivo por el que Sergi Roberto no ha participado en el Torneo de Ibai @xortu Upd. at 19:41 Sergi Roberto’s participation was announced and he was going to play on behalf of Barcelona but then he did not play – with the game suspended at 7pm and then at 11pm it was revealed why. Xavier Ortuño IN SPORT.ES Mallorca, another Konami side, also did not participate in the tournament, which continues tomorrow.last_img read more

Track attack

first_imgBy Jade Lawton andA group of Wattle Tree Road residents told the gazette last week that there had been little…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Education Minister Faces House Tuesday

first_imgThe House of Representatives’ Education Committee has described Education Minister George Werner as ‘disrespectful’ and had accused him of always failing to honor the Committee’s invitations.Sinoe County District # 3 Representative Matthew Zarzar, who is also the Chairman on the House Education Committee, said the Minister has constantly, deliberately and disappointedly refused to cooperate with them when probing educational issues, which immensely affected their work. Following the harsh accusation from the House’s Education Committee Chairman, and the resolution from the Italian Scholarship Beneficiaries Parents Association (ISBPA), the House has summoned Minister Werner to appear before Plenary on Tuesday, April 19 in their Chambers at about 11 a.m.The Education Minister is expected to explain to the 73 lawmakers issues surrounding students on the Italian Government Scholarship, provide information on the new educational reform known as Private Public Partnership (PPP), and why he has been ‘disrespectful’ to the House’s Education Committee.According to the resolution of the ISBPA, of which a copy is in possession of the Daily Observer, the parents narrated that the Liberian government in collaboration with the government of Italy announced through the Ministry of Education the availability of scholarships for students in grades 8 and 9 and ages ranging from 14 to 18 years.The parents said out of the 64 students who sat for the tests, 27 passed successfully in 2014, while the then Minister of Education, Etmonia David Tarpeh, in the same year wrote the then Foreign Minister Augustine K. Ngafuan to considerably request for a Note Verbale, which he immediately did to the Italian Embassy in Cote d’Ivoire.“Upon this communication to the Italian Embassy, the children were taken to Cote d’Ivoire for said requested visa issuance on February 26, 2016 and subsequently returned on March 6, 2015 after the completion of the visa process.“Henceforth, the parents were cited at the Ministry of Education Conference Hall and informed that their children would have left Liberia for Italy by March 14, 2015 especially after they would have been presented to the President of Liberia, who initiated the scholarships. It is interesting to note that, as of the said timing and now, nothing has been revealed as to what has happened to the entire process,” the parents expressed their frustration through the resolution.They concluded: “The Minister of Education should immediately reverse his decision to allow the traveling of these children to further their studies in Italy. The Ministry of Education should begin the arrangement for the children to leave Liberia for Italy not than May 2016.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Double standards on corruption

first_imgDear Editor,In the last decade of the PPP’s administration there was a heighten drive for transparency, accountability, good governance and adherence to rule of law in Guyana. The Government and those deemed connected to the administration were constantly being skewered in the news and visas of the former were being revoked as a matter of routine. Media houses exhibited great power and the diplomatic community was very assertive in its stance against corruption.The charge in the local media was led by numerous accountability, governance and constitutional experts. The Government faced accusations left, right and center about corruption, financial mismanagement – particularly as it concerned the consolidated fund, conflict of interest and nepotism. Even those in the capitalist private sector were beginning to feel guilty about making profits. Around the same time the PNC had managed to re-invent itself despite its own history of corruption and election rigging. Soon after the coalition got into office it immediately launched over 50 forensic audits, COIs and Enquiries costing hundreds of millions. Several of those audits were awarded, without tender no less, to auditors who had been staunch PPP critics. Notwithstanding, nothing of substance came from the audits which means PPP was effectively thrown out of office on a fake trumped up charge.In a similar vein to the sole sourcing of the auditors, the APNU/AFC coalition very early on recruited and thereby neutralized many of the former advocates of good governance. These folks are now busy promoting and defending corruption, bad governance, nepotism, blatant conflict of interest and violation of the constitution. Others have gone silent perhaps ashamed of what they have birthed. The result is a media today which has lost its zest for transparency and accountability giving meaning to the old adage, “monkey know which limb to jump pon.” But while the actions of the former transparency advocates can be explained by the fact that many are really propagandists, the withdrawal of the diplomatic community from the corruption issue raises a major question.There is no doubt that corruption has risen to astronomical levels since this Government has risen to power. For example, there is the Durban Park project, the never ending airport and road projects – where more is spent for less, pharmagate scandals, land and concessions giveaways to politicians and friends – deals which were made while the Government under caretaker status, the scandalous 99 year parking meter contract, GECOM radios deal, the fritter on overpriced Drones – announced only two days ago and the most egregious of them all: the incomparable US billions oil giveaway for a measly 2% and the secret stash/ pittance of a bonus. On top of all that the Government continues to occupy office illegally one year after it easy defeated in a No Confidence Motion. Then there is GECOM, a study in deception, seemingly doing all it can to facilitate this caretaker Government remaining in office indefinitely by delaying and preventing free and fair elections. Suddenly it is clear that there is one standard for the PPP and another for APNU/AFC. And that accusation could be leveled against the diplomatic community as well. Why is the diplomatic community which was so assertive against corruption and keen on rule of law, so quiet in the face of all these violations? The answer to that question is perhaps most troubling. It perhaps also explains the arrogance and disdain of this caretaker Government and GECOM for the Guyanese people.Sincerely,Ravi Ramlast_img read more

Mourinho keen on signing Falcao

first_img0Shares0000Radamel Falcao (left) in action for Colombia.LONDON 8- Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed the club are keen on signing a striker in the off-season, fueling speculation of a move for Radamel Falcao.Falcao endured a tough spell on loan at Manchester United this season, netting just four goals in 29 appearances in what was a miserable time at Old Trafford for the Colombian. Having since returned to the Stade Louis II, Falcao has now emerged as a target for the Blues and Mourinho has hinted that the 29-year-old could be amongst their plans in the transfer window as they look to replace Didier Drogba.“We have to buy a striker because we want to have three strikers of a good level,” the former Porto boss told the Sunday Times.‘We do not want to have just one. Then you lose a good position on the negotiation table.“We will be better. I don’t see our team losing players. I don’t see our team losing our qualities, especially our mental, emotional approach to matches, to the season, to the competition.“It will be difficult to find players to go straight into the team. Because it’s not easy to find a better striker than Diego (Costa), a better keeper than (Thibaut) Courtois, a better midfield player than (Nemanja) Matic or (Cesc) Fabregas.“This season is about improving the squad, bringing players to make us more consistent, so we don’t go through difficult periods like last season when we had crucial injuries.“We have to try and protect that situation by adding two or three players.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Hull fined £20,000 for incident in Arsenal Premier League clash

first_img1 Hull have been fined £20,000 after admitting they failed to control their players during Saturday’s defeat to Arsenal.Tigers players surrounded referee Mark Clattenburg after Arsenal full-back Kieran Gibbs was only booked for fouling Lazar Markovic when the Hull winger was clear on goal.That resulted in a Football Association misconduct charge, which the club have admitted.“Hull City have been fined £20,000 after admitting an FA misconduct charge and accepting the standard penalty,” said a statement from the FA.“In the 55th minute of the game against Arsenal on February 11 2017, the club failed to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion, contrary to FA Rule E20 (a).” Hull City players surround referee Mark Clattenburg last_img

Football Talk: New Celtic deal for Gordon, Lahm to retire

first_imgFinally, Cristiano Ronaldo may get a bad rep but the star striker has shown he has a heart of gold by donating a strip to a local Portuguese dog kennel. It’s hoped it can be auctioned off to help save the 80 dogs staying there after the shelter found themselves in financial trouble. Sorry, what? Scott Brown sings the Dedryck Boyata song as he walks into the McDiarmid Park dressing room.Jonny Hayes puts pen to paper.Not bad…And finally, a photo to go with your breakfast… They may not be able to match the £50,000-a-week he was promised down south but they are said to be offering a pay rise nonetheless. Meanwhile, Celtic youngster Ryan Christie has admitted he doesn’t want the Hoops to win the treble – as he wants to win the Scottish Cup with his loan club Aberdeen instead. On the continent, Philipp Lahm has announced he will call it a day at Bayern Munich and hang up his boots at the end of the season. And struggling Leicester City have had a change of diet. There will be no more chicken at full-time but it still remains unclear if Ranieri’s pizza trips will continue. Today it is all about Scottish clubs triumphing as the dust settles on last week’s transfer deadline day. Firstly, Jonny Hayes put pen to paper on a new deal at Aberdeen. Take that Cardiff City!And now it looks like Craig Gordon will do the same at Celtic. Despite looking set for a move to Chelsea last month, the print edition of the Daily Mail is reporting the keeper’s agent has now begun talks with the Scottish champions.last_img read more

Opioid misuse costs Indiana over $4 billion annually, or $11 million daily, IU study finds

first_imgOver the past 15 years, the number of opioid overdose deaths in Indiana has risen by more than 500 percent, while misuse of these drugs has cost the state a total of $43.3 billion, according to research from Indiana University. “While it is true the entire nation has been mired in the crisis, only a handful of states — including Indiana — have been struggling with the epidemic while also facing an increasingly tight labor market, which challenges our hopes of realizing strong post-recessionary growth in an economy where labor is increasingly difficult to find,” Brewer said.Brewer and Freeman examined opioid-related costs to families, hospitals and government agencies across Indiana. Among their findings:Non-lethal opioid overdoses cost over $224 million in hospitalization costs in 2016 alone, with an additional $297 million in other opioid-related hospital stays.More than $40 million is spent annually for rehabilitation costs.The cost of drug arrests and court costs exceeds $13 million annually, and costs of incarceration have reached more than $70 million each year.The previous health care costs do not include the state’s 578 youngest victims: infants born with neonatal abstinence syndrome, who experience withdrawal symptoms after losing access to their mother’s drugs after birth. The researchers estimate that total marginal costs for neonatal abstinence syndrome births totaled more than $36 million in 2016.As of 2016, an estimated 5,243 Hoosier children were in foster care due to parental opioid misuse (a more than 600 percent higher increase from 2003).Total funeral costs for victims of opioid overdose deaths rose from $1.2 million in 2003 to $7.1 million in 2016.“Indications from national and local sources suggest communities across the country and within Indiana continue to experience worsening conditions and increasing numbers of misuse cases,” Brewer and Freeman write.This research contributes to IU’s efforts to address the addictions crisis. IU’s Grand Challenge initiative Responding to the Addictions Crisis brings together its world-class faculty, as well as its business, nonprofit and government partners to create a comprehensive plan to reduce deaths from addiction, ease the burden of addiction on Hoosier communities, and improve health and economic outcomes. This collaborative, statewide initiative is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive university-led response to the opioid addiction crisis. Ryan Brewer, associate professor of finance at Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus, and Kayla Freeman, a doctoral candidate in finance at the IU Kelley School of Business, studied the opioid epidemic’s impact on state and local economies, the labor market and health care providers in a special issue of the Indiana Business Review, published by the IU Kelley School of Business’ Indiana Business Research Center.Their research includes recommendations for future actions by state officials. Most of the findings in this release come from their article, “Cumulative economic damages from 15 years of opioid misuse throughout Indiana.”More than 12,300 state residents are estimated to have died from 2003 to 2017 due to opioid overdoses — nearly the same number of people who live in Pike County in southern Indiana.Opioid addiction can hinder or prevent misusers from finding employment or being part of the labor market, which then leads to reduced gross state product. Lost gross state product has gone from zero in 2003 to $1.72 billion in 2016 — nearly double the $926 million loss from the year before.Potential lost wages due to opioid misuse totaled $752 million in 2016.center_img In addition to the human cost, economic damage from the misuse of opioids in Indiana cost $4.3 billion last year and will exceed $4 billion again this year — or about $11 million each day.Direct costs are expected to top more than $1 billion in Indiana in 2018. Gross state product losses from the accrual of deaths in Indiana will likely exceed $1.25 billion, and another $1.75 billion will be lost due to underemployment attributed to misusers.last_img read more

Martin Carney to launch Donegal Sports Star Awards

first_imgFormer Donegal and Mayo senior footballer Martin Carney will perform the formal launch of the 42nd Donegal Sports Star Awards in the Mount Errigal Hotel on Tuesday evening. Ballyshannon native Carney was the Gaelic Football category winner in 1977, in only the second year of the Sports Star Awards.He was a member of the Donegal senior football team at that time and had won two Ulster titles under the management of Brian McEniff. Martin went on to win four Connacht finals as a member of the Mayo senior football squad. In recent years Carney has become one of the country’s top GAA football analysts featuring regularly on RTE Sport at major championship games.The Donegal Sports Star Awards launch takes place in the Mount Errigal Hotel at 6pm.last_img